March 25, 1519


Finally I found a city in the continent along the coast. The natives called this city Tabasco. But its residences were not as friendly as Cozumel's; they threw stones and arrows at us. Unwillingly, we had to fire them back.

They wore cotton-filled armors, which seemed very weak. But in the battle, it was more useful than it seems; it could protect themselves from some of our swords. They were fierce warriors; although we armed with steel armors and weapons, I lost my soldiers. But they were afraid of gunfire and cavaliers; we finally won and dominated the city.



Even though it was tough battle and lost my men, I promised them peace, because that was the best way to treat natives. My interpreter, Jeronimo de Aguliar was really helpful to communicate with them. At last, they promised to become citizens of King Charles.

Also we met some pretty ladies. I liked one of the ladies, Malinaltzin. I will call her Malinche. I could take her to my expedition.

No comments: